Avalon Waterways – Accommodation Review
Avalon is a wonderful way to explore the world, especially with their spacious suite-ships and accommodation.
Avalon’s ships have three types of cabin – Deluxe (oceanview) Staterooms, Panorama Suites and Royal Suites. The vast majority of these are the Panorama Suites. We stayed in one of these suites and honestly they provide so much space to stretch out and enjoy the world go by.
At 200 sq. ft, you don’t feel at all cramped and the real beauty about Avalon ships is the unique design. On almost all cruise ships, the bed faces sideways to the window/balcony. Avalon reimagined the stateroom experience by orienting the bed so that it directly faces the water. In fact, the whole room is focussed on the water (and quite rightly so!), with a large sitting area that also looks out. The pièce de résistance is the genuinely huge panoramic floor-to-ceiling glass-sliding window that completely opens your room up to the world outside – in fact it’s 50% bigger than the industry standards.
The overall effect is a greater connection to the river and the destination – I really love spending time here sailing along the Danube. The suite also features a large seating / dining area, vanity area and an impressively large bathroom.
On top of this, all cabins feature:
- Premium Egyptian bedding, with plush linens and duvets. They also have memory foam mattress toppers which really are super comfy.
- Rooms also feature fresh flowers and premium L’Occitane® bath products.
- There’s plenty of storage in the form of 3-door wardrobes, with lots of hanging space and shelving (which also features a larger than average safe for valuables and things like laptops).
- Individual climate control. I found this to be really effective, which was really handy when it was 39C outside!
- Flatscreen TVs with a variety of local and international channels. What I also like about this is how they are stored out of the way in the corner of the room, yet still easily accessible.
- Plenty of plug sockets, but more importantly USB sockets for all your gadgets and tech.
- Like many river cruise lines, Avalon includes complimentary Wi-Fi access for all guests.
I come back to Avalon time and time again, and one of the genuine main reasons are the spacious accommodations to explore the World.
Click below to return to the start of this review